These little seeds have been consumed for thousands of years and if you are not one of its consumer, you better get on the boat!
A legend even says that King Charlemagne (8th century) passed a law to make his subjects eat flaxseeds!
Why should you eat it and how?
Well, it is amazingly naturally packed with 3 major nutrients:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids, aka good fat
- Lignans, which have antioxidant qualities. Flaxseeds contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Fiber. Flaxseeds contain both the soluble and insoluble types.
Thanks to these, flaxseeds may:
- Protect you from breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer
- Prevent from diabetes, cardiovascular disease and inflammation
- Protect your skin
- Reduce your cholesterol
Flaxseeds, when eaten whole, might not digest so well and you would not get all of the nutrients. The best way is to buy and keep them whole and grind them using a small spice grinder whenever you need some.
Add a teaspoon full in your dark sauces, smoothies, soups, oatmeal, yogurts. And definitely use it for baking as egg replacement where 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseeds + 3 Tbsp water = 1 egg
Just like a smile, flaxseeds are one of these little simple things that make our lives better!