Do you ever look at the ingredients when you buy a box of cereal? Well you should to see what you are making your body consume. I hope that you will not realize that you have been having :
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene): a common additive used to prevent oxidation that has been listed by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) in 2005 as “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” on the basis of experimental findings in animals. It is also used in jet fuels, rubber petroleum products, transformer oil and embalming fluid. It has also been stated that it could cause liver damage.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): Loaded with “unbound” fructose and glucose molecules, studies have shown that the reactive carbonyl molecules can cause tissue damage that may lead to obesity, diabetes, and also heart disease. In the US, HFCS is usually made from genetically modified corn and processed with genetically modified enzymes.
- Natural flavors : once again beware of GMO here as we can’t trace where these are made of.
So what should you have for breakfast? Well, eat fruits, have smoothies or just buy tons of nuts on nuts.com or at any store near you and make a big batch of your own granola which you can savor with nut milk, yogurt, anything really and you can store it for at least 6 weeks!!!
It’s fun, easy and you can make so many different versions. Welcome to a whole new world!
Make your own granola!
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds, soaked for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (you can add up to 1/2 cup if you like it sweet)
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame oil (or melted coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- And go crazy, you can add any other dried fruits you like : cherries, apricots, figs, etc
- Preheat oven to 300 degres F.
- Line a baking sheet on a large tray and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the almond, coconut, hemp,flax and oats and set aside
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut sugar with a little bit of water and the maple syrup. Remove from the heat once it starts to simmer.
- Add the sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds in the large bowl and mix.
- Pour in the maple syrup, oil and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Spread on the baking sheet, cover the mixture with another baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes
- Stir and bake for another 20 minutes until it is golden and crispy.
- Add 5-10 minutes if necessary
- That’s it, add the fruits, mix it, let it cool and it’s ready!
Once completely cool, you can store it in glass jars in the fridge or at room temperature.
Now pick your nose and eat it! Just kidding, don’t pick your nose, cuckoo! 🙂