We love to make this recipe once in a while now that we have practiced it for a couple of times. Inspired by one of the best vegan blogs that we follow, Oh she glows, we have slightly adapted it our way to make it a little bit more spicy. Let’s be crazy!
Oh yes, you need a tiny bit of preparation ahead of time for this dish if you want to have a fresh homemade pesto. It is always better! Follow the instructions below and you will be fine.
Succulent Vegan Lasagna
- 1 box of no boil gluten free lasagna
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 and 1/2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 bottle organic marinara. We love this one. You can also use the one by Trader Joe’s, it’s pretty good
- 10 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful fresh spinach, washed and drained
- 1 bag Daiya cheese, we use this one
- red chili flakes, chili powder, paprika (optional)
- For the Cashew/Basil pesto:
- We use a 13×9.5 baking dish
- Make the pesto : blend all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil for 30 sec. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the zucchini, mushrooms and red bell pepper. Cook for approximately 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the marinara. Mix in the spices as per your desire along with the pepper. Add a pinch of red chili flakes or chili powder to give a nice little kick to this dish. You do not need to add salt as the marinara is already salted. Cook for 2 minutes on low heat and Stop the heat
- Time to prepare your lasagna layers in your baking dish : Place a layer of pasta.Pour half of the vegetable sauce on top. Add another layer of pasta. Cover by spreading half of the pesto on top. Add the rest of sauce. Add a layer of pasta. Add the rest of the pesto and sprinkle the Daiya cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes and serve warm accompanied with a fresh salad and some avocado.
We have been scared of Daiya cheese for a while but so far, it does not seem harmful. It is made of : Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavors, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).
If you want to avoid it, you definitely can, it’s certainly still delicious!