Can you believe this is made without butter, white sugar, egg, or milk?!
This is the kind of recipe that makes me so happy about being vegan. Some people think it is a deprivation. They definitely don’t know what they are talking about 🙂
I wish I had little cherries or raspberries to put on top. Oh well, while we wait for the summer fruits to come out, let’s please ourselves with this chocolate loaded recipe.
The Healthiest Chocolate Brownie
- 1/2 tablet dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%, you can use unsweetened also)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour, or spelt flour
- ⅓ cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- a piping bag. If you don’t have one, check on YouTube, there are plenty of ways to make your own
First make the frosting and put in the fridge
- Place the dates in a blender. Pour boiling water over dates and let sit for 10-15 minutes or until the dates are very soft.
- Blend water and dates on high until very, very smooth. Add in the cocoa, salt and vanilla and blend until well-mixed.
- Chill the frosting until completely cool (about 3 hours) before spreading on cupcakes.
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake holders. I did not have enough holders so I just greased a few pans with coconut oil and it works well
- Melt the chocolate in a pan on low heat with 1 tsp of almond milk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond milk, sugar, lemon juice, applesauce, vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Slowly bring the dry ingredients into the large bowl, whisking until there are no lumps left.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a knife/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once ready, remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Take the cupcakes out of the pans and set aside until the frosting is ready.
- Make a nice design on top with the frosting and go for it!
It’s ok to be a chocolate addict 🙂