“Do you know maca? ”
If somebody asks you this question, it might be followed by the comment”It’s strong huh?!”
What is maca?
Maca is a root mostly grown in Peru and is known as the “peruvian ginseng”. You usually find it in a beige color powder or capsule form in health food stores.
How to take maca?
Maca has been used for decades by the native populations of Peru to naturally prevent and cure diseases. It has amazing properties for both men and women. Because it is strong, start with 1/2 a tsp a day with one day off in between to get your body used to it. Especially if you are starting to use natural supplements to get away from a non-healthy diet. When your body is used to eating junk/poor nutrient based food, it stocks all the toxins in various parts of your body (colon, kidney, stomach, liver…). As soon as you start taking strong natural nutrients such as maca, your body can react very strongly by throwing away the toxins in order to absorb these good nutrients. It might be painful but it is great news, it means your body is detoxifying and eliminating the waste. This is the reason why, your maca intake should start very slowly to give your body the time to adapt and learn to digest maca in the most optimal way.
Once you get healthier or if you already are, you can take 1 to 2 tsp a day. If you take it daily, it is recommended to stop it for one day before starting again, as we said already it is strong!
I recommend to add it to your chocolate smoothies, sprinkle a little on salads or use it in raw desserts. Maca and chocolate is a great combo, my favorite.
What are the benefits of maca?
Maca is full of vitamins and minerals that are essential for our body such as vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, amino acids, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and others.
Maca is known to:
- Increase your energy level and stamina: Believe me, you definitely feel the boost! You feel alive, clear, excited without any side effect. Forget Redbull, your coffee addiction and all the other nonsense!
- Uplift your mood by bringing a sense of well being and serenity
- Help balance your hormones: thanks to the essential amino acids contained in maca, your body can better regulate its hormones, stimulate your thyroid functions and ensure that your body is well balanced
- Reduce anxiety and stress: by balancing your hormones, maca naturally helps you chase anxiety
- Boost libido and increase fertility : Studies have proven that maca increases the sperm count and volume and helps sexual dysfunction. For women, it controls the estrogen level and increases the level of serotonin which boosts the libido
- Relieve symptoms of menopause
- Improve circulation throughout the body: this is great to heal wounds rapidly and prevent from anemia
- Improve your skin and reduce acne
- Strengthen your teeth and bones
We are all concerned by at least one of the issue above. What better way to help yourself than with a natural product?!
It feels good just writing about maca!
photo from http://www.healingthebody.ca/