I know it might be hard to find plantain flour in Western countries. But if you happen to stumble across a bag, get it!
Even better if you have a dehydrator and a good grinder/food processor, then you can make your own flour.
These pancakes are amazing! Served along with fresh bananas and a homemade chocolate sauce, you can eat them and you will not feel heavy after. I swear! The reason is that there is no wheat, butter, eggs or milk involved. it’s a very simple recipe with just flour and water, can you believe it?!
Try it and let us know!
Plantain pancakes and its chocolate sauce
- 3/4 cup plantain flour
- 3/4 cup water + 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 1 or 2 tsp maca
- 1 tsp very thinly minced ginger
- 2 bananas
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 or 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- dried bananas (optional)
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- In a small bowl, pour the flour
- Add the water slowly by stirring at the same time until you get a nice flowing thick texture. It should be like a paste, not too thick and not too thin
- You can add 1 tsp of maca to this mix if you desire. Maca is an amazing superfood which you can learn more about here.
- You can also add 1 tsp cane sugar to make the pancakes sweet. You don’t really need too though as the bananas and chocolate sauce bring enough sweetness
- I like to and add half of a mashed banana to this mixture and 1 tsp flax seed to bring a little more fiber and nutrients to my breakfast. However, they are delicious and perfect just with water as well!
- Make the pancakes as usual: heat a pan, use coconut oil to oil the pan. For small pancakes, pour 2 Tbsp of the mixture in a circle shape, wait until bubbles form on top and the edges look cooked, flip the pancake and heat for another minute or so. Keep the flow going and make the chocolate sauce during the waiting times between flips 🙂
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp water, raw cacao powder, 1 tsp cane sugar, ginger, dried bananas, 1 tsp maca and a pinch of cinnamon
- Add water if needed. You want a nice creamy texture to spread on your pancakes
This recipe should be enough for 2 people if you add some fruits or a smoothie to your breakfast. In any case, now you know how to make it, you can always double the doses and make a ton!