Last week-end, I had the chance to go pick some fresh rhubarb at a farm near Paris. So I made this classic combo to officially launch the month of rhubarb & strawberries and hope that the sun will finally come out!
Slightly sour, this refreshing tart will surely enlighten your day. My dad, who is very critical and not vegan at all, tried it and said it’s good.
So you try now and let me know!
- crust & topping
- 1 pie crust (I used a ready made “pâte brisée” one)
- 15-16 strawberries for the topping
- a handful of shaved almonds
- 3 tsp cane sugar
- strawberry-rhubarb compote layer:
- 5 stalk fresh rhubarb
- 4 cups strawberries (250 g)
- 1/4 cup sugar (60 g)
- crème pâtissière vegan (vanilla cream layer)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (200 ml)
- 1/8 cup cane sugar
- 1/8 cup rice flour (20 g)
- 1/8 cup corn starch (fecule de mais) (20g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or fresh grated vanilla
- The night before: wash, peel and cut the rhubarb into 2 cm (3/4 inch) pieces and let them soak with 1/4 cup sugar. The rhubarb should soak for at least 8 hours in order to reduce its sourness and water content.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F (180 C)
- Placed the thawed crust in a pan. Cover it with a baking sheet and put some beans on top so that the crust does not rise. Heat it in the oven for 10 minutes until the crust is golden. Remove the baking sheet & balls and put it back in the oven for another 4 to 5 minutes
- Once ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool down
- Make the vanilla cream
- Heat the milk in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the vanilla and cook for 5 minutes
- Very slowly add the corn starch and mix at the same time with a whisk
- Keep mixing gently and add the rice flour and the sugar very slowly
- Keep mixing until the texture becomes thick
- Turn the heat off and let it cool down until it is hard on the top
- Once well cool down, mix it in a blender to make it creamy
- Make the compote
- strain the rhubarb
- cut the strawberries in two
- in a saucepan, heat the fruits with the sugar on low heat. The texture should become thick like a jam. It should cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure it is not watery.
- let it cool
- Assemble the tart
- Cut the 16 strawberries in half, put them in a bowl and mix them with 2 tsp of sugar
- Pour the vanilla cream (crème pâtissière) on the crust and spread it with a spatula. it will be a very thin layer
- Pour the compote on top.
- Top with the strawberries and almonds. Spread 1 tsp sugar on top.
Keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours before eating.
Yes, this takes a little time but it is so worth it!