The secret story behind this amazing meal started when I attempted to make mushroom-spinach samosas. Big time failure: I let the phyllo sheets thaw too long, as a result it was impossible to make any nice triangles. The key in the kitchen (or anywhere really!) is : never get discouraged, you can do it (♫ Baby you can do it, take your time do it right, You can do it baby, do it tonight!♫)
Creamy Mushroom Spinach Pot Pie
- 3 sheets phyllo dough
- olive oil
- 8-10 mix of white and crimini mushrooms
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful parsley
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese (I used Daya mozarella)
- rosemary, thyme
- Put the phyllo dough in the fridge overnight. Take out and thaw the 3 sheets you need 1/2 hour before making this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil, saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until they get yellow. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes until tender.
- Add the spinach and the herbs. Cook for another 2, 3 minutes until the spinach softens. Don’t make it mushy!
- Turn the heat off, Add the salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet, in a medium size baking pan or brush some olive oil in individual pots
- Lay 2 phyllo sheets at the bottom. Brush some oil on them.
- Add the spinach-mushroom mix, topped with a layer of vegan cheese. Crumble the last phyllo sheet on top. If using individual pots, just crumble the 3 sheets, put 2/3 phyllo in the bottom of the pots and 1/3 phyllo on top.
- Bake for approximately 20, 25 minutes until the top becomes golden and crispy.
- Serve warm.
Yes, we know, it’s so good.