This curry is not spicy, I swear, it does not even contain any curry powder! Nothing stops you from adding more spices though, go for it if you feel like it!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 3 tsp berbere mix
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 curry leaves (optional)
- Wash and Cut the eggplant into 1 inch dices
- In a large pot, pour 5 cups water and the diced eggplant. Boil on high heat until the eggplant becomes soft and brown. It should take around 40 minutes.
- While the eggplant is boiling, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small frying pan.
- Saute the onion, cumin seeds and garlic in the pan for 5 minutes until the onion starts becoming a bit crispy. Make sure not to burn them. Set aside.
- Once the eggplant is boiled, drain well. Mash them in a bowl and set aside.
- Once you have removed all the water from the pot, heat 1 Tbsp of olive on medium heat. Throw in the onion mixture and diced tomato. Add the powdered spices and salt and stir for 3 minutes. You can also add some curry leaves if you have. I wish I had some!
- Add in the mashed eggplant. Mix well and stir for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add some salt if needed and it is ready!
Enjoy your healthy dinner! It goes great with rice and another side such as carrots&parsnips!