Who would have thought that we can use cauliflower to make a pizza crust?!
Yes cauliflower, ladies and gentlemen. It’s fun, cheap, fairly easy and super healthy!
This is a 100% plant based pizza that you can customize with any toppings you like. Here we go!
Vegan and Gluten Free Pizza
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed + 6 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour or 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mix of dried herbs : oregano, thyme…
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bottle organic marinara sauce
- 1 sauteed onion (chop the onion into thin slices and sautee in a pan with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 10 mushrooms (white or crimini)
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet on a tray
- Mix the ground flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into small florets.
- Steam the cauliflower florets in a pan for 5 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, mix the steamed cauliflower so you get a puree like texture.If you are using canned chickpeas, you can blend them along with the cauliflower. Put the puree in a cloth and squeeze to remove the excess water.
- In a large bowl, mix with your hands the obtained cauliflower puree, chickpea flour (if using), nutritional yeast, flax mixture, salt, oregano and thyme and olive oil. You should obtain a granular dough.
- Spread the dough on the pizza pan by making sure it is a bit thick, at least 1 cm (1/2 inch)
- Heat in the oven for 25 minutes until the edges are well cooked.
- Take the dough out of the oven. Add the toppings: spread the marinara sauce, add some sauteed onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper.
- Put back in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until the mushrooms are well cooked.
- Feel free to add some fresh basil, vegan cheese or homemade parmesan on top efore serving!
Enjoy while it’s hot!