Pumpkin Stew with barley
It is pumpkin season and we are seriously celebrating it.
Here is a stew, it is a bit spicy, which is just perfect after a cold day.
- 1 cup barley simmered in 3 cups water for 1 1/4 hours
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- a pinch of grated ginger
- 1 cup pumpkin diced into 1 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 zucchini diced
- 5 large white mushrooms
- 1 fresh tomato diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cumin seeds
- 2 heaping tsp curry powder
- pinch of chili pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- fresh scallions and parsley
- Start making the stew when you have 40 minutes left for the barley to be ready so you can eat the whole thing nice and warm
- Slice the onion and garlic thinly
- Clean and cut the vegetables and have everything ready
- In a large pan or a wok (I suggest the wok), heat the olive oil
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan
- Once the onion are yellowish, add the the ginger, cumin seeds, turmeric and curry powder. Cook for a minute
- Add the tomato and mix
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the pumpkin and cover the pan for 8 minutes until the pumpkin softens. You can add more water if you want to make it saucy
- Add the zucchini and mushroom. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add the chili pepper flakes and salt
- Cook for 5 minutes. 10 minutes maximum. It depends how you like your zucchini : a bit crunchy or soft. I vote for crunchy = no more than 5 minutes.
Pour the stew in a bowl over the barley.
Top with fresh parsley and scallions.
Mmmmh this winter will be fine…!