Yes yes, we did it.
We made the healthiest Galette des Rois without egg, butter, white sugar or milk. Surprisingly, it tasted delicious and we could not even tell that is was any different than a regular one!
And the craziest part is that the vegan dough is carried by Pepperidge Farm ! I know, I can’t believe it either.
Vegan Galette des Rois
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 Tbsp
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, we used this one by Earth Balance
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 1/8 cup corn starch or arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 surprise (a character in Porcelain or an almond)
- a crown
- Remove the sheets from freezer and thaw them for 40 minutes
- When the sheets start to get ready, preheat the oven to 395 degres F (200 degres Celsius)
- Make the filling : in a bowl, mix the almond meal and sugar
- Add the almond milk, starch and extracts
- Lay 1 sheet of the puff pastry on a baking sheet
- Poke a few holes in the crust with a fork
- Spread the filling evenly on the crust by leaving an inch near the borders
- Hide the surprise in the filling
- Cover with the second puff pastry sheet and fold the borders.
- Make a nice design making notches with a knife on the borders and on top
- With a brush, coat the top with some vegan butter and maple syrup
- Bake on a tray for around 35 minutes until the top gets golden
The one who gets the surprise is the king or the queen and gets to choose a king or a queen! Have fun 🙂