What I enjoy the most about having a plant based diet is the diversity of vegetables I find myself eating.
I made a sweet potato/leek dish a while ago and I have to say that it never gets old, these two go great together! So I put them together again along with mushrooms in this deliciously melting dish…
I made these in 6 small individual casseroles. Feel free to do the same or simply use a large rectangular baking pan (1 x 7 x 2 inches = 28 x 18 x 5 cm).
Vegetable Casserole with Sweet Potato Crust
- 2 large sweet potatoes, boiled with skin on
- 1Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup chickpea flour or almond meal
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano
- water if necessary
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 12 shitake or white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 heaping tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small ball, mix the flax seed and water and let sit for 10 minutes
- Peel the boiled sweet potatoes once they are cool and mash them in a large bowl using a fork
- Add the flour, yeast, baking powder, olive oil, flax mixture, salt and herbs. Mix with your hand. You should obtain a quite uniform dough. If the mix is to dry add a little water 1 Tbsp at a time to ensure the dough is well combined
- Spread the dough in the casseroles and bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are slightly brown
- While the crust is baking, make the vegetables in a large frying pan or a wok.
- Heat the olive oil for 30 seconds on mediom heat
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes until they start becoming dark yellow
- Add the leeks, turmeric, curry powder, salt and cook for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the leeks are melting.
- Add the mushrooms and stir. Let cook for 3-4 minutes until they become tender. Add the coconut milk and mix right before turning off the heat
- Add in the casseroles and cook in the oven for 5 minutes along with the crust. Add some dried thyme or oregano on top for some extra flavor if you like